Today, more government agencies than ever before are working towards adopting mobility programs. On the one hand, it’s a very positive move. Research shows that mobile workers are more satisfied, and thus more productive. On the other hand, there is a clear risk associated with accessing and transmitting data via mobile device – a risk that is exacerbated by the fact that government agencies deal with highly-sensitive information on a daily basis.
In order to mitigate this risk while still capitalizing on mobility’s many benefits, government agencies should look into implementing a sophisticated and custom mobile device management (MDM) solution. There are many different options to choose from, but the right one will give your agency the ability to control, manage, and secure sensitive data and devices, without hindering worker productivity.
To give you a clearer idea of what this could look like, here’s what an efficient MDM government solution might entail:
– Advanced application control. As a government agency, you need to be able to control the applications your employees use. Your ideal MDM solution should give you the power to blacklist applications that pose a threat and limit use on allowed applications.
– Advanced data protection policies. The right policies will protect sensitive data and support employee productivity at the same time. At Calero, we specialize in working with government agencies to enforce policies that protect against data leakage, while also ensuring that the appropriate employees can gain access when they need to.
– Remote wipe and lock. A standard MDM feature (but one that is crucial for government agencies) is the ability to wipe and lock employee devices remotely, protecting both the device and any data it has access to.
– Password protection. We recommend a hybrid solution for the public sector. Specifically, enforcing the device’s local password protection, and employing security gateways to restrict access to applications and data.
– Geo-tracking. For government agencies especially, we recommend having the ability to manage risk, protect data, and enforce new policies based on a device’s specific location. It’s an advanced feature, but one we have found to be necessary for organizations dealing with highly-sensitive information.
While these are the basic features we recommend for government MDM, keep in mind that there’s no such thing as a one-size-fits-all solution. Building your agency’s ideal mobility program will require addressing and analyzing your unique challenges, and working in partnership with mobile security experts to customize a solution that meets your needs.
Today, more government agencies than ever before are working towards adopting mobility programs. On the one hand, it’s a very positive move. Research shows that...